The Student News Site of Joel E Ferris High School

Ferris Information Network

Ferris Information Network

Ferris Information Network

October Celebrations

October+Celebrations

In October, Ferris students and staff had many opportunities to celebrate both holidays and important moments. 

Sports teams were able to once again hold their Breast Cancer Awareness games to show their and the school’s support for those with breast cancer. Teammates sported pink from wristbands and hair ribbons to homemade t-shirts, and those coming to watch the games were encouraged to sport the same pink accessories. Some teams even collected donations for breast cancer foundations. Softball player Lillian Lincks said, “I love playing the Breast Cancer Awareness games. They are very fun and make it feel like I am a part of something bigger than myself.” 

The Hispanic Honors Society hosted its annual Dia de los Muertos celebration on October 23rd. Students in the HHS baked pan de muertos, rice crispy treats, and skull cookies for the event, and everyone was welcome to come learn about Dia de los Muertos. Student Eleanora DeWees said, “It was a fun way to learn.”  

At 6pm the same day, Ferris’ Unity Club hosted a Cookie and Pumpkin Decorating Party. Advisor Mrs. Jacobson provided everything for the event – even baking the cookies herself. It’s clear she wanted everyone to have a great time there. After everyone got their fill of cookies and little plastic pumpkins, they turned up the music and turned it into a dance party. Cotton-Eyed Joe, Cha-Cha Slide, you name it. 

On October 27th, students were given the opportunity to volunteer at Libby Center’s Trunk or Treat and Dia de los Muertos celebration. Students could decorate the trunks of their cars and hand out candy to students at 6pm, and then at 7 they could go inside to help with the celebration in the school. 

And, of course, students were allowed to come to school in costume on the 31st. They couldn’t cover their faces and had to abide by the everyday dress code, but otherwise they had full control over their costumes – and students showed their creativity this year. I saw an Ellie Sattler from Jurassic Park, a Ken from The Barbie Movie, some skeletons, a Cinderella, and a lot of Where’s Waldos. Student Milo Savage said “I dressed up because it makes the little ones happy and it’s a way to express myself and show what I’m good at.” 

Safe to say it was a fun month at Ferris.